Image Map

Giving myself a break

 16 August 2011

I was having a discussion earlier today with a fellow Mom. We were talking about the recent challenges we have both been experiencing in Mommy-Land. I was venting about my recent bout of mother's guilt and she was venting about her sleepless nights. At the end of our conversation she said, "We are good mothers, we just need to give ourselves a break."

That line has stuck with me for the rest of the day.

Before I became a mother I considered myself a fairly secure person. Since becoming a mother this has been challenged. I find myself questioning everything that I do. "Is this right?", "Is there a better way this could be done?", "Am I a good mother?" I am continuously comparing myself to other moms and, in my mind, falling short.

Being a parent is exhausting in itself and having this internal turmoil is even more so.

Hearing my friend say that this morning made me stop. I am a good mother and I have to realize that not everyday is going to be perfect. There are going to be days when I feel awful for leaving her to go to work. There are going to be days when I question decisions I have made. There are going to be days when I feel like I could've done better, and that's OK. None of these things make me a bad parent. None of these things are going to scar my daughter for life and make her resent me when she's an adult. I am sure I will do other things that will fall into that category!

So today I have decided to "give myself a break". Instead of worrying about everything that I may be doing wrong, I am going to enjoy my daughter, and try to recognize everything that I have done right.

7 comments:

  1. I love this. We all experience the mommy guilt. I know I do - and I have some days that are worse than others. But you're SO right! We are doing our best and that's all we can do. Great perspective! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's natural for all moms to feel this way at some point, but you're right! Wish I could "like" this post 1000x!

    New follower from TAT.
    firefly-chasing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great new insight to gain. I am a Mom to 3 and my oldest will be 18 this month. I am not sure how that happened because I am not old enough to have an adult child! That being said, hang in there, remember that this season shall too pass. Mommy guilt only makes you normal and depressed. The fact that you have Mommy guilt shows you are a great Mom! I am now a new follower via Give a Hoot Wednesday blog hop and I am glad I found your site! Have a great day

    Wendy
    http://obedienttogodscalladoption.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is totally natural to feel like this...I feel like this on daily basis it can sometimes make you crazy. I found your blog on te Give a hoot Wed blog hop. Hope you can come by and check out my blog. I am a newbie to this blogasphere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. following back from Growing up Gardner! Can't wait to look around here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally understand the mommy guilt thing. I've got it bad. And you and your friend are right, sometimes we DO need to give ourselves a break!! I could learn to practice that, that's for sure...

    Thanks for linking up on the Whatever Wednesday hop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi I'm a new follower! Thanks so much for linking up to Whatever Wednesday!! :o)

    For Love of Cupcakes

    ReplyDelete