Image Map

This Ain't No Joke

 11 April 2013

This parenting stuff is hard. H.A.R.D. Not like trigonometry test hard, like mentally, physically, spiritually hard. I am put to the test everyday and almost always feel like I have fallen short.

I knew when Steve and I decided it was time to start "trying" that having a baby was going to rock our world. We were told, at nauseam, that once we had a baby our lives were never going to be the same again. I thought, being an Aunt, that I had at least a small grasp on what to expect. No more sleeping in, late nights out would be few and far between, a spontaneous trip? Heck, we would be lucky to get a date night out for dinner and a movie. And I was right, for the most part all of those things are true and I was prepared for them. It is everything else that I was unprepared for, all the things that matter.

The overwhelming responsibility that being a parent is. I have been blessed with a daughter and a son. I have been entrusted with the job of raising a woman and a man. My daughter may one day be a wife and a mother. I want her to have patience for those around her and patience for herself. I want her to have confidence, not forced confidence that is masking insecurities like her mother, real genuine confidence. I want her to have empathy for others and never feel that anyone is any less than she is. I want her to appreciate life and understand it's value. I want her to work hard for the things that she has, but not work to have things. I want her to love without hesitation. I want her to be a good person.

My son may one day be a husband and a father. I want him to open doors and pull out chairs for women. I want him to have an effortless confidence. I want him to be approachable. I never want him to feel ashamed to cry. I want him to work as hard as his father does for the things that he wants. I want him to never be afraid to be who he is. I want him to love without fear. I want him to have a strength that goes beyond the gym. I want him to be fearless and protective. I want him to always root for the underdog. I want him to be a good person.

I was not prepared to be flooded with these wants immediately upon seeing my babies faces. I was not prepared for the amount of second guessing I would do. Am I making the right decision? Is this what my Mom, Mother-In-Law, Sister, Sister-In-Law, Best Friend, Acquaintance I compare myself to on Facebook would do? Is she watching too much TV? Eating the right things? Going to the right school? Do we spend enough quality time together? Is it about the quantity of time or the quality of time? Is it too cold out for shorts or too hot out for jeans? Do we discipline enough? Do we discipline too much? Do we discipline the right way? Does she have too many toys? Does she play outside enough? Are they each getting enough attention?

Am I awful for working full time?

This I was not prepared for. It never ends. I knew I would worry, I knew I would stress. I did not know I would worry and stress all. the. time. about. everything. We are molding people and my hope is that these little people take everything that is good about Steve and I and nothing that is bad. Naive, I know, but it is those bad things that keep me up at night.

That and the second guessing.

I know you can only do the best you can, but what if my best isn't good enough? I'm not baking a cake here, where if I burn the edges I can just throw it out and start over. There is no rewind button. I've got one shot to get this right, one shot. And most days I feel like my aim is way off.

So tonight, like every night, I will lay down to go to sleep and before shutting my eyes, I will thank God for trusting me with these two beautiful babies and I will ask him for one more day to try to get it right.


35 comments:

  1. Kim, we all have these same wants and fears for our children. You are not alone in this. You are doing what you feel is best and right for your children and that is the best you can do. There is not right or wrong. Your kids are amazing and loving, and sweet, and respectful, and have good personalities! You will get it wrong from time to time but that is okay because you will learn from your mistakes as well as your kids! Don't beat yourself up so much about it. I know it is easier said then done and me saying it sounds so easy too. I also lay in bed at night thinking about my day and wondering did I do enough today but then I think about how wonderful my babies are too and I can close my eyes and sleep. Your doing GREAT! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim,

    I feel like you were pulling thoughts right out of my head. I feel like from the moment I became a mom that I was FULLY UNequipped. I constantly feel like I should be doing more, doing things differently, etc. etc. But your last line resonated with me and I couldn't agree more. God has trusted us to do this. He knows we can do this. In no way are we perfect in all ways, but we ARE perfect for our little ones. You're a great mommy, continue to do what you do! <3

    OH, and THANK YOU SO MUCH for your amazing comment on my last blog post. I meant to thank you earlier, but you know how that goes. So much of what you said resonated with me, and there's just something comforting about hearing others' stories, getting advice and support... so for that, I am grateful and thank you SO much! :)

    Hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oohhh I loved this post, Kim. So real and thought provoking!
    It wasn't until Piper was born that I truly understood the love and pure, intense love that comes with being a mother. I mean, of course I loved her soo much while pregnant, but now... Now, it is so deep and raw and real. I love her so much it hurts and hope and pray for only the best for her.
    Thank you for sharing this post.
    Have a wonderful weekend xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm right there with you. Parenting is so hard! The second guessing myself is the worst part. I wish I knew the cure for it, but I don't.

    Over from PYHO

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really is so hard! And I don't know if the second guessing ever stops- but we can only just do the best we can at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great post! When you said "I was not prepared to be flooded with these wants immediately upon seeing my babies faces," I got chills. I'm not a mom, but what a beautiful picture of immediate and all-encompassing love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is BEAUTIFUL!! I can't agree with you more about the second guessing stuff. I've been a mom for only 7 months and I think I second guess myself at least once a day. It's overwhelming at times, but so worth it!
    Found you through SITS! Great to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The fact that you lose sleep worrying if you're "good enough" (where did this belief come from?) and you wrote an article about all the things you wish for your children--that tells me that you care, that you love them, that you want the best for them--and that's enough. There is no parenting handbook, there is no parenting perfection; but there is the willingness to always grow and learn, to accept them as they are, to do over, to apologize, to forgive...I think deep down kids need to know they are loved and that they matter. And it's okay to see you stumble sometimes--it teaches them they don't have to be perfect. Sometimes parenting is serious business, but it's also fun too. I can go on and on about parenting (I'm in a Marriage and Family Therapy program), but I think bottom line is that it's pretty obvious you love your kids--that is such a wonderful place to start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nicole! You are so right - they need to see me stumble, they need to see me fail and then try again - that is a perfect way to look at it.

      Thank you for that!

      Delete
  9. Such a heart-wrenching and honest post....and I think all incredible moms can relate to this. It's what makes us incredible...the desire to do the right thing, do more, more, more, be the best we can be. Yes, it causes self-doubt and generates enough guilt to fill a small universe but take comfort in the fact you are not alone. You are a fantastic mother who, like most of us, struggles to find the perfect balance, the perfect methods, the perfect little world.

    The best part about this struggle? Life isn't perfect. Each time you mess up, or do something wrong, or feel like you're not doing enough, you're exemplifying the real world, the world that they will eventually face, the world that will not (like you) try to improve itself and apologize for its mistakes.

    So you see, even when you fail, you succeed. Go easy on yourself every now and then.....and know you are doing a wonderful job. Thank you for creating a better place for my kids to live in. I feel relieved knowing there are moms out there like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jennifer, I really appreciate that. You are so right...the world is not perfect and one day these babies are going to leave this little bubble I have created and enter this imperfect world. They need to see me stubble and fail in order to learn to try again.

      Thank you for opening my eyes to that!

      Delete
  10. Very heart warming Kim.. You're not alone in your thoughts and doubts, I think it's a package that comes with parenting. I worry all the time about my son even when he's with his father and not under my care.. You think about how your choice today will affect them tomorrow. Is my kid going to be paying a therapist to complain about me in the future? I sure hope not. Some things we can't predict nor control so it's best to enjoy the moment and the time we're given. Develop and establish a great relationship with your kids is what matters and what may be the most beneficial in the future. If they're able to open up to you and trust you, you can help guide them easier and with better agility. Lots of issues lie when kids feel they can't talk to their parents or confide in them because they end up doing so with the wrong people. I'm sure your kids will provide great contributions to society and you're going to be very proud of them once they're older! :) Great post Kim! Have a great one -Iva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Iva and you are right, there is so much about parenting - and life - that is unpredictable and out of our control. Enjoying the moment is the way to go and something I work on everyday!

      Delete
  11. Kim. you put into words what we all as parents feel. This is truly beautiful! Being a parent is definitely the toughest most important job we will have have and all we can do is the best we can and hope and pray our kids take away what we are trying to teach them. It never ends. My boys are all grown up. Sweet young men. All 3 of them and I still worry about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I knew what worrying was before becoming a parent! Thank you so much for stopping by and for your sweet words!

      Delete
  12. Have faith in your intuition. No one knows their kids better than you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true Carla and something to remember!

      Delete
  13. I think we need to assume we will mess up, that's just the way it is:) It's the consistent showing up, trying, and forgiving that make the difference in the long run. Seems to me like you are doing a pretty great job so far!! Happy SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  14. From one mama to another.... AMEN to this!! I so get this. And I just love how you touched a deep nerve in every mother out there.

    And PYHO??!! I love that you are with Shell's link up! I may be getting dementia, because I can't remember if I have read your posts before!! Either way- SO glad to connect!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris! I love that so many other mothers feel (or have felt) the same way, makes me feel more normal!

      I love Shell's link up and try to participate whenever I feel I have something worthy enough to contribute. There are some awesome bloggers over there!

      Delete
  15. This is such a heart warming post and it is so real to alot of us mothers out there - i love your closing phrase, going to sleep thanking God for trusting you with the kids and hoping he'll give you another chance to try your best; sp profound and beautiful!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for getting it and making me feel like I'm not alone on this one!

      Delete
  16. This was beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm a mm to 4. Oldest is 20 & yes, its the hardest thing I ever did! Happy SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing post! Thank God that we all get that 'one more day' to try again. I think it's in the trying that we all become better parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! Thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  19. Thank you so much Dana! I think you are right, striving to be the best we can be is what makes us good parents. I just have to remind myself that perfection is not attainable!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wake up, do your best, sleep, repeat. That's all you can do and don't worry, it will be enough. We want so much for our kids but at the end of the day they will become grown ups and they will have to decide what kind of people they want to be. Every day I feel like Jamie Lee Curtis in Freaky Friday "Make good choices!" as they disappear out the door!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are a beautiful writer and Mother! I remember having all of those feelings as a young Mom, but if you do a good job - and you you seem to be doing great - then they will turn our to be wonderful adults. They will intimate you and your husband, our son knows to open any door, car or otherwise, pull out chairs and generally be thought because his Father has always treated me that way. Same goes for our daughter, although I must say for all the good we taught them they did pick up a few bad things along the way. If I could do it over I would try to leave those bad habits of mine at the door! God bless and have FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Kim, happy SITS day. Thank you for sharing such an honest heart felt post. I think that "Am I good enough, am I doing this right" is that inner monolouge all us moms hear. I'm constantly second guessing myself too. But when I'm doubting myself and wondering all these things, I just look at my girls and see how happy and sweet they are. That always helps me feel better and let's me know I must be doing something right. :)

    ReplyDelete