Image Map

This little piggy went to get a pedi!

 11 April 2013

You know back in the day when men would send their son's out into the world to complete some monumental task in order to be considered a man?

I did something similar with Autumn only it wasn't that monumental. It is what I would consider a little stepping stone into woman-hood.

Autumn had her first pedicure.


Autumn has watched me leave the house many times to go off to that magical place that make my toes look so pretty. So she was ecstatic when I told her that this time she gets to go too! With wide eyes she walked into the nail salon, looking longingly at the huge, comfortable, "fancy" chairs that all the big girls were sitting in. She was mystified by all of the color choices and I think it took her longer to choose a color than it did to paint her little toes!

After picking her color Autumn crawled into the massage chair and scooted all the way to the front. Then she stuck her little feet down into the warm water and let out a sigh. It is amazing to me that even at 3 years old she has the same reaction to that feeling of relaxation as I do at, um, well at the age that I am.


The woman who was helping Autumn was wonderful. She was kind and patient and let my little beauty enjoy every minute of her first pedi. From letting her splash her feet in the water, to bringing her a Coke to drink (in a glass, without a lid!), to letting her walk around the salon to show off her newly painted little piggies. Autumn enjoyed every second of it!


As we were leaving Autumn started telling me what color she planned on getting next time, and the time after that, and the time after that. It was then that I knew My little girlie-girl was hooked. Like mother, like daughter.

Going to get a pedicure is often times my break. I will go with a girlfriend, on a Sunday afternoon, leaving the kids at home with Steve. If I'm feeling nice, they are napping before I leave, if I'm not then they are wide awake and ready to be entertained! It is my time to close my eyes and breathe. No one calling my name or asking me questions. It's just me with the warm water on my feet and a chair (who expects nothing in return) massaging my back.

I will still make these "Me Time" trips to the nail salon but I will also add in a few extra times when I take my little lady with me. As she grows it will be nice to take some of that "Me Time" and make it "Our Time". Our time away from the boys when I can hear about her life and she will hopefully share her thoughts and feelings with me. A quiet time, away from school and work, chores and activities, to just unwind and enjoy the moment.