Image Map

Old School Blogging: A Year In Review

 10 January 2014

I am linking up with Elaine and Jennie for another edition of Old School Blogging. This month we are doing a recap of 2013.

1. What did you do in 2013 that you'd never done before?

I am so proud to be able to say that I ran (and walked some) of not one but two 5K races! This was not a goal I had set for myself but more of a spontaneous decision that I actually followed through with - twice!



2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I did not make any resolutions last year. Not because I don't believe in them or was afraid I wouldn't follow through on them but more because I was in a sleepless fog from that two week old I had at home. I wouldn't say I have made a resolution this year, per say, but more of a life long goal to yell less during times of stress and frustration. I am turning into a yeller and I don't like it.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Yes! My best friend's sister gave birth to a beautiful little girl named Lucy.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

Thankfully, no!

5. What countries did you visit?

My husband and I took a cruise to the Bahamas and enjoyed every single childless second.





6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2014?

My first thought was punctuality. It seems like no matter what I do - plan ahead, wake up early, apply makeup at red lights - I am late. Although, my husband and friends might say a filter for my mouth, but what fun is that?

7. What dates from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

Our family vacation to North Carolina where Autumn fell in love with a little gray kitten she named Lucifer (what can I say, the kid is obsessed with Cinderella). She begged her Daddy to let her take Lucifer home but he stuck to his guns and said no - repeatedly.

That childless cruise I mentioned above, did I mention it was all expenses paid. It's OK, you can be jealous.


8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Keeping my children alive and well for another 365 days, those 5K's, and I lost close to 40 pounds!

9. What was your biggest failure?
Living in the now. I am constantly having to remind myself to live in the present instead of thinking, planning, worrying about what is coming around the corner. I wish I had been better about that this year.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

Just your average head cold. I am fairly certain that I had food poisoning too.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

A treadmill. I love running outside but between dinner, baths and bed it is hard to fit in during the week. With a treadmill at home I can get a run in whenever it's convienient. Being able to watch old reruns of "Bones" while I run isn't too shabby either!

12. Where did most of your money go?

I am still trying to figure that out...

13. What did you get really excited about?

Spending the first two and a half months of the year home with both of my babies. Planning Nate's first birthday party was fun too!

14. What song will always remind you of 2013?

Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines", as much as I don't want to I love it.


15. Compared to this time last year, are you?
– happier or sadder? I think I am equally as happy as I was this time last year.
– thinner or fatter? I am definitely thinner.
– richer or poorer?  Richer in every way that matters.
16. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Cuddle my newborn and soak in his baby smell.
17. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Worry about things that I have no control over.
18. How did you spend Christmas?
We had a lazy day at home. It was perfect. 
19. What was your favorite T.V. program?
The Blacklist, hands down.
20. What were your favorite books of the year?
I am ashamed to say that I only read one book last year and it was more "fluff", not anything of much substance. I will do better this year!  
21. What was your favorite music from this year?
I have pretty eclectic taste in music so I will probably be all over the board with this answer. I loved "Holy Grail" by Jay-Z featuring Justin Timberlake, "Royals" by Lorde, "Everything has Changed" by Taylor Swift featuring Ed Sheeran and I cannot get "Timber" by Pitbull featuring Ke$ha out of my head. Autumn and I have also been belting out "Let It Go" from the "Frozen" soundtrack daily.  
22. What was your favorite film of the year?
Truth be told, I don't get to the movies much anymore, but I did take Autumn to see "Frozen" and we both loved it!
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
This was a big birthday for me -the big 3-0 - and I may have had a minor mental breakdown. Lucky for me, that breakdown happened at the beach while I was surrounded by my closest friends. That's the only way to have a breakdown.



24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

Cheesecake

25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?
This is a tough one. I spent the better part of 2013 losing weight, so there were stretches when nothing fit correctly. It will be much better for 2014!  
26. What kept you sane?
Nights out with my girlfriends. There is no better therapy. 
27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013?