Image Map

Color Me Accomplished!

 07 September 2013

Every other night of the week for eight weeks I have been putting on those shoes with laces and heading out for a run. I have gone from struggling to finish one minute of running continuously to running for 28 minutes without stopping, which for me typically equals a little over 2 miles.

Today was the culmination of my efforts. This morning I woke up at 6:30 am on a non-work day, put on my running gear (which included knee high pink socks), drank a protein shake, applied a temporary tattoo to my cheek and headed out to complete my first 5K!


With a group of friends by my side I ran (and walked) the 3.1 miles and crossed the finish line.


The run I chose, to dip my toes in, was The Color Run. It was the perfect first run. It is considered a "fun run", so no timing and no pressure. I loved it. Throughout the run there were four "color stations" set up that everyone ran through.

Now, having the OCD issues that I have, one might think that being covered in color from head to toe would drive me crazy, but you would be wrong. I owned it! It was a part of the experience and I loved it!

At the end of the run, once everyone had crossed the finish line, all of the runners congregated in a huge field. That's where the fun really began. "Color Bombs" went off, which ensured that if you were not already looking like a walking rainbow you would be.




Participating in a 5K is not something I had ever pictured myself doing. I am a self-proclaimed "indoors girl". I have always stayed away from any activity that would result in sweat. I regret that now, because I had no idea what I was missing! I did not run the whole race but I was there.


I wish I could take the feeling of crossing that finish line and bottle it up. It was the perfect way to begin my 30's!