Image Map

Shoes with Laces

 23 July 2013

I slip them on my feet and tie up the laces. I realize as I tie that I am reciting a little rhyme in my head. "Bunny ears, bunny ears, playing by a tree. Criss-crossed the tree trying to catch me. Bunny ears, bunny ears, jumped into the hole, popped out the other side beautiful and bold."

I can't remember the last time I wore shoes with laces regularly.

I head outside into the heat. Looking back over my shoulder I can see my husband watching me from the kitchen window. He thinks I'm crazy. It is hot and humid, not an ideal combination. I take a deep breath but the air is wet and heavy. Without taking too much time to think, and risking the possibility of heading back into the air conditioning, I take off.

It has been years since I have willingly done this and I am unsure of my movements at first. I feel awkward on my own feet. Worried that every neighbor has decided to look out their front windows, simultaneously at this very moment, I become self conscience.  Is it obvious I do not do this regularly? Am I doing this right? Is there a even a right way to do this?

I have ear phones on and can hear a voice telling me that my warm up is over and it is time to begin. Begin? I've already been out here for five minutes and now you want to begin? I follow the directions being spoken into my ear and spend the next twenty minutes alternating between a brisk walk and running.

My face is on fire. With each step that I take I can feel the muscles in my legs yelling at me. I am taking in deep breaths of thick air but feel like I cannot fill up my lungs. My chest burns. My mind is telling me to keep going but my body is saying that I am an idiot.

As a distraction I begin listening to the rhythm of my breathing. My mind wanders. Thinking about me, Steve, the kids, the weight, the new found need to exercise. I realize I am out here by myself. Autumn isn't asking for another cup of milk. Nate isn't crying because his teething is irritating him. I am not cooking or cleaning or looking at what I need to cook or clean. I am alone, with my own thoughts, and all of a sudden it doesn't hurt as much.

As I round the corner, I can see my driveway. I have never been so happy to see that section of white concrete. With a thud I sit and breathe until I can feel my pounding heart beginning to calm. I am alive. I slide my shoes off and instead of throwing them back into my closet, sure to never pull them out again, I place them where I will easily be able to find them.

Until next time, and there will be a next time.




GFunkified

13 comments:

  1. I love this! Very inspirational! You go momma! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie! I don't think I will ever be able to catch up with you, but I'm trying :)

      Delete
  2. Way to go!
    I wear shoes with laces to work every day, but it would be much better if those shoes were also put to some jogging-use...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot how comfortable sneakers can be! Although, I don't know that I will be wearing my neon green running shoes to the grocery store anytime soon ;)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I love this. Even though I've never been a runner. I swear I want to try - and maybe I should since I've typed those words a million times :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh try!! I swore it is something that I would never do and claimed to loathe it. Now, I actually look forward to getting out there!

      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Outstanding job!!! Keeping going is the hardest part. Keep it up. BTW: What program are you using on your iPod?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The first few times I had to talk myself into going, but now I actually look forward to it!

      I take my iphone with me and use the C25K app. I highly reccomend it!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Good for you! I use running as my alone time too and even though it burns and I'm sore, it's always nice to get away for a little bit. Good luck keeping up with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! I've been walking for a few weeks now and need to bump it up a notch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woot-woot you go girl! What a great way to take some time for yourself and take care of yourself. I used to run and I loved it. I do yoga more now, but running can be somewhat meditative too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't you love that quiet time to yourself, with no one needing anything from you?! Ahhhh...I live for it. Even when it has been a long time since you've run and it's not so...refreshing. :) Thanks for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i loved this. i felt invigorated just reading it! you go, kim!! running is such a stress reliever and adrenaline booster.
    i love your sneaks. :)
    i hope you and your family are having a wonderful weekend. <3<3
    maria

    ReplyDelete