Image Map

I want them to be brave.

 28 January 2014

There are millions of things that I want and wish for my children. Millions of dreams that I have for them. The obvious is for them to be happy and healthy. I also want them to follow and trust that little voice inside. I know from experience that listening to that quiet voice over a screaming world takes bravery.

I want them to be brave. So brave.

In a world that can be harsh and rough and gritty. In a world that can push you down and scream that you're just not good enough. In a world where following along with the crowd is so easy and taking the "road less traveled" is far less glamorous and often scary, especially if you're traveling it alone.

I want them to brave.

I want them to know who they are and what they believe in, at their core, and be brave enough to stand up for those things. I want them to know what they want out of this life, what they want to give to this world, and be brave enough to give it, even if it may result in rejection once or twice.

"You can be amazing
You can turn a phrase into a weapon or a drug
You can be the outcast
Or be the backlash of somebody's lack of love
or you can start speaking up."

I want them to be brave enough to stand up for the underdog, especially if they are the underdog. Brave enough to understand that differences are beautiful and something to be celebrated not hidden.

"Everybody's been there,
Everybody's been stared down by the enemy
Fallen for the fear
And done some disappearing,
Bow down to the mighty,
Don't run, just stop holding your tongue"

I want them to have enough bravery to admit when they are wrong and apologize when they need to and even when they don't. Brave enough to love, deeply, even if it may result in a broken heart.

Let them be brave enough to try new things, not letting fear paralyze them, even if it is that roller coaster that gives their Mama a heart attack or that school across the country from everything they know.

I want them to be brave enough to let go of my hand and make their way into this world because I don't know if I am brave enough to let go of theirs.

Along with being happy and healthy I really want them to be brave.