Image Map

I love that...

 11 October 2011

She is fearless. This makes me proud and terrifies me all at the same time. As a child I was no where near fearless. I did not get giddy at the thought of riding a roller coaster, I was not fond of the process of learning how to swim and I certainly never volunteered first for anything! In her 20 months on this earth, Autumn has already shown to be a much braver kid then I ever was.

Autumn was not a baby who was unsure about the concept of letting go and walking. Once she was steady on her feet, she let go, took off and has never looked back. For her 1st birthday, Autumn's Meme and Popi (Steve's parents) gave her a Fisher Price slide that we keep out on the back porch. At first Autumn was unsure about how to climb up the back, in order to get to the landing and slide down. So, she decided to just climb up the slide portion stand on the landing and slide back down. She enjoys climbing up and flying down her slide so much, that Steve and I have "padded" the areas surrounding the slide with bath mats, just in case she gets a little to quick for her own good.

Every child should have a healthy fear of the water. This is something that I worry my child was born without. She loves to stand, sit, kick, splash, run, and jump in the water. All perfectly normal things. It is when she leans forward and sticks her face straight in that I worry.

There wasn't a single ride at Disney World that Autumn was scared of. She waived at the Wicked Witch at the end of the Snow White ride.

While her fearlessness does make my heart beat a little faster and sends my sweat glands into over-drive, it is a trait that I hope she keeps. In 20 months, I cannot recall anything that Autumn has not wanted to do or at least try because of fear. Just like when she took those first few steps, she wasn't afraid of falling. I hope she is never afraid to fall.


This post has been shared at Growing up Geeky


3 comments:

  1. Wow that does sound terrifying! Hopefully she'll develop some of those healthy fears sooner rather than later - the face into water thing would scare me too!


    Jamie
    For Love of Cupcakes

    ReplyDelete
  2. My oldest daughter is very cautious but my younger daughter is full speed ahead. She doesn't let anyone or anything stop her (in the best way). I can't wait to see what she'll be like as a grown woman with that very same attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope she keeps her fearlessness, too! I love that she wasn't afraid of any of the rides at Disney World haha.

    ReplyDelete