Image Map

"Here Piggy, Piggy"

 08 February 2013

One of the things I bought Autumn before she was born was a piggy bank. Whenever people gave her money as an infant, Steve and I would put it in her piggy bank. As she grew and caught on, she began putting  money in the bank herself. It has turned into a really exciting thing for her to do. Whenever she finds loose change around the house, or is given a dollar or two from her Meme and Popi, she cannot wait to put it into her piggy bank.

Recently, Steve and I started to notice that Autumn's piggy bank was getting pretty full. Full and heavy enough that we were nervous placing it back on the shelf where it sits! So I started explaining to Autumn that we needed to bring her piggy to the bank and empty it out. I was nervous about how she was going to react to emptying out her piggy bank, after all, she had worked hard collecting all of that money! But she seemed interested in the idea of bringing her piggy to the bank and letting them keep her money for her. She was also excited by the prospect of getting to start over and fill her bank back up! 

So today Autumn and her piggy went on a field trip to the bank, where Autumn got to see all of her change emptied into a coin machine and counted. Then she watched, with amazement, as the teller counted out all of the one and five dollar bills Autumn's piggy had been saving up for her. We opened up Autumn's first savings account and she proudly deposited $66.43! 

On our way home, I explained to Autumn that now that her piggy bank is empty she will have to work on filling it back up and once it is full again, we will come back to the bank and make another deposit into her account. I am so proud of how well Autumn handled our trip to the bank and I love how excited she is about saving up her money!