Image Map

DIY: Salt Dough Hand Print Ornament

 04 December 2011

It's been a little while since I have conquered any DIY projects, so I decided to devote this weekend to trying out a few. First up is a salt dough hand print Christmas ornament. The inspiration for this project was, of course, this pin on Pinterest.

You will need four cups of flour, 1 cup of salt, water, a straw, ribbon and paint
(Pretend you see a picture of these items here)

I slowly mixed together the flour, salt, and water until the dough was a smooth consistency. If it is too sticky, it will be difficult to get a clear hand print. 

Once the dough was ready, I rolled out portions of it onto a cookie sheet, shaping the sections into circles. Then I corralled Autumn long enough to get her hand print once on each section of dough. Once you have the hand print pressed into the dough, use a straw to poke a hole through the dough. 





The hand print will need to sit out over night to dry, or you can cook it at 150 degrees for over an hour. 

Once the ornaments have dried and hardened, string the ribbon through the hole and tie to fasten. 



Paint the hand print and allow to dry. I added in Autumn's name and the year as well. 

Hang on your Christmas tree and admire! 


3 comments:

  1. Oh, how CUTE!

    I haven't seen those in ages. As a matter of fact, I think when I was little mom did something like this with me and my sisters.

    I just remember having doughy decorations for a few years...don't exactly remembering 'doing' them.

    That little hand print is just precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful- just beautiful! I love the hand print:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a great idea! we're gonna do it! thanks!

    stop by and visit me at http://cinderelladuty.blogspot.com!

    ReplyDelete