Image Map

Rookie Mistake

 16 November 2011

In preparing for our flight up north, Steve and I scoured our local Target looking for small things that we could bring on the flight that would (hopefully) help keep Autumn from screaming occupied. Along with a few new board books, an Elmo DVD and candy (hey, when all else fails...) we found coloring books. We had not bought Autumn a coloring book yet, so we thought this would be a great thing to introduce while she would be strapped down with a tray table in front of her.

The coloring book did serve as a great distraction on the plane and was something that Autumn and I could do together. Since then Autumn has started asking for her "colors" and loves to lay on the floor with Steve or I and scribble in her book.

So I was not surprised this evening to hear Autumn ask me for her "colors" while I was straightening up the house. Without thinking, I grabbed Autumn's coloring book and a crayon and handed them to her. I watched her sit down on the floor, open her book and start to scribble, then I continued on with what I was doing (insert "What Were You Thinking ?!?" here).



When I returned to check on her approximately 2 minutes later I found my little Picasso-in-training had decided that the coloring book I had provided her would not suffice. She had kindly started decorating our wall. Thankfully, I caught her before her creative juices really started flowing and the damage was minimal (and easily cleaned off with a baby wipe).



Once again the words "What were you thinking, Kim?" ran through my mind. Obviously I need to slow down and take the time to think things through before I willingly hand my almost-two-year-old a crayon, unsupervised! Like the potting soil in my lap, I guess you could say I asked for the portrait on the wall.

I don't think I have ever felt like more of a "rookie" then I do when it comes to parenting!

8 comments:

  1. You do have quite the little artist there!

    But if it ever doesn't come off...just think of it as one big sweet memory you will smile at later when she's too big for colors.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two-year-olds with crayons are truly weapons of wall destruction. One of mine happily decorated our tan suede couch with red ink. That did NOT come off with baby wipes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, been there, done that. You'd think we would have forsaw that!

    --Sandy
    www.AsToldByMommy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bean did the same thing when she was two. I for some reason thought it would be okay to leave under her four year old sister's supervision while I scrubbed the dishes in the kitchen in our open floor home. Bean just happened to be on the other side of the half wall where I was standing. After Bean was DONE with her masterpiece, Ash told me all about it. It was a pretty good picture for a two year old...just not on a wall ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fortunately I have never had this happen to me. Which is kind of shocking considering I have 3 and my two girls are crafty fanatics.

    If you don't make mistakes you are not parenting :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, I think that's one of those motherhood rites of passage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know I shouldn't have, but I totally laughed when I saw the "masterpiece" Autumn left for you. Two year olds are fun, in a sort of "make so much work for mom" way :)

    ReplyDelete