Image Map

"Brusha, Brusha, Brusha"

 28 November 2011

Like most families with a toddler, our household survives on routines. There is the weekday morning routine, the weekend morning routine, and our night time routine. I think that last one is the most important. Since Autumn was around eight weeks old we have had the same night time routine, with a few additions as the months have gone by. I think that having this routine at bed time helped get Autumn sleeping through the night at an early age and has continued to help get her to bed, with little to no crying or whining, night after night. She knows when it is time to start winding down because of our established routine.

Currently Autumn's favorite part of her bed time routine is brushing her teeth. She will quickly drink her cup of milk, sometimes a little too quickly (which never ends well) just so she can run into the bathroom and brush her teeth!



Steve will sit Autumn on the counter (since she is still too short to reach, even with a step-stool!) and brush her teeth for her. She loves to open her mouth and say "Ahhhh". Once he is done, Autumn gets to brush her own teeth. By "brushing her own teeth", I really mean suck all of the water out of the tooth brush, stick it under the faucet and repeat. Once she has done this two or three times, she will then ask to brush my teeth, Steve's teeth, the dogs teeth and the teeth of whichever stuffed animal has been carried into the bathroom with her.

I love that Autumn is excited about brushing her teeth. It is nice to think that with all of the mistakes we are inevitably making, we are teaching her good habits too!



Needless to say, Minnie Mouse should check out just fine at her next appointment!


This post is being shared at Momma Made It Look Easy




5 comments:

  1. I love toddlers and babies, they just make me smile so much!! Their sweet innocence and exploration and the way they put a fun spin on everything :)
    She is sooooo cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how Autumn offers to brush everyone else's teeth. Maybe you have a dentist in the making?!
    I used to love those days when my girls would suck the water off of their toothbrushes and say, "Ahhh...that tastes good!"
    Keep those nightly routines going. Trust me, they do work. Our girls are almost 10 and 8 and they never fight us when it is time for bed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God love it. How sweet is THAT?

    I immediately thought of the movie "Grease" when I saw your title.

    Remember when the girls had a sleepover and Frenchy did that whole whatever it was she did?

    But back to Autumn...that is a precious child!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She can be my little role model patient in my dental office! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure any of my kids have ever been excited about brushing their teeth.

    ReplyDelete