Image Map

Raising a Son Terrifies Me!

 20 June 2013

The moment we found out that Autumn was going to be a girl, I remember quietly breathing a little sigh of relief. I can handle a girl. I am a girl. I have a mother, two younger sisters, a mother-in-law, a sister-in-law and two nieces. I know how to dress a little girl, what little girls like to play with, how they think, what they feel. I can handle a girl.

The moment we found out that Nate was going to be a boy, I swear I heard Steve let out a sigh of relief. I, on the other hand, had a moment of panic and anxiety. A little boy. I know nothing about little boys. Nothing. I did not grow up with any boys, with the exception of my friend's brothers, and they were just annoying. Heck, Steve and I have been together for 13 years and I am still trying to figure him out. Boys like to get dirty, boys like to play with bugs, boys sweat and smell. And from what my friends who have boys tell me, boys do not stop moving.

The thought of raising a son terrified me.

Now, don't get me wrong, I was excited to be having a boy. It would be something completely new to both Steve and I, but with that excitement came the anxiety. What if I am not a good "boy mom"? I am pretty obsessive-compulsive when it comes to Autumn, as far as dirt, snotty noses and stains-on-clothes are concerned. I have been told I cannot be that way with a boy, that it would be a never-ending battle. I am not the most out-doorsy individual and activities that make me sweat are not high on my list. I HATE bugs. I have never played with a truck or a matchbox car.

I have no idea what little boys are thinking or feeling. I know that I have Steve to navigate this with, but from a mother's perspective I felt lost. How will I know the right things to say when Nate is in tears over something I have never experienced, because I am not a boy? Will I be able to comfort him the same way I am able to comfort Autumn?

The thought of raising a son terrified me.

Then I had my son. From the moment when he was laid on my chest, staring up at me, with all of the trust in the world, I knew we would be fine. The anxiety subsided. I might not always understand what he is feeling and I might not always know what he is thinking. I might not be able to relate with different experiences he has, or always know the right thing to say, but I will always be there to listen.

Now, as far as the dirt, sweat and bugs? That's what his Dad is for.




12 comments:

  1. I'm a boy mom, and I love it! They're awesome, truly awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Alison! I am 6 months into being a boy mom and am loving every minute of it!

      Delete
  2. I heart this so much! What a handsome little man you have there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was the exact opposite. I h ave two boys and I was relieved when they weren't girls. I love having boys. It's so fun! The idea of a girl the second time around was flattering. Y know? One of each and all that, but when I found out he was a boy, I was SO relieved. Stopping by from SITS. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister was exactly the same way! She has two boys and loves it. She's also one of the best "boy moms" I know, which is probably why I was a bit intimidated by it!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I always wanted a little boy. My friends that have boys love when I come over because I entertain and play with them. I love girls too but since I grew up with brothers, it is something I miss having around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ironic thing is I had always wanted a boy too...but was scared when it actually happened! So good to hear from you Kristen!

      Delete
  5. Hi Kim! Such a cute post, I loved how you ended it :)
    You know what? When both kids are older you still won't be able to figure out what they are thinking and feeling lol, they live on their own planet, it's not just boys trust me!
    Little boys are sweet, they have this bond with their mum that is something special, you'll see what I mean. What a cutie Nate is!!
    Have a great day xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kerry!! You have a point there, in the end Autumn will probably be harder to figure out than Nate!

      Delete
  6. I was really lucky with my son, he didn't like dirty at all. Now as a teenager I'm always at a loss what to buy him for birthdays or Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lucky were you, a boy who wasn't into dirt! I will probably have to put my husband in charge of the gift buying!

      Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete