Autumn is quite the character. It's all of her little quirks that have started appearing, especially at this age, that sometimes drive me crazy, but always make me smile.
She loves to watch television while sitting or standing on the edge of the fireplace hearth.
She loves to pretend that she is a kitten and will only respond in "Meows".
She loves to sing her "A,B,C's" or "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" at the top of her lungs while shopping with me in a store.
She would rather "twirl" than walk.
It is these "quirks" that I sometimes find myself trying to silence or correct.
"Autumn, sit on the couch, you are too close to the TV there".
"Autumn, you are not a cat, get off the floor."
"Autumn, you need to lower your voice, people are trying to shop." (Apparently, silence is required to pick out a cute shirt).
"Autumn, stop twirling and hurry up, we have places we need to get to."
I have made a conscience effort to stop trying to "correct" this "behavior". Nothing that I listed above is harmful or really disruptive (OK, some may disagree with the serenade of "Twinkle, Twinkle" in Target) and everything that I listed above describes who my little girl is, right now.
She watches television on the fireplace hearth because she likes to talk to the cartoon characters while they are on their adventures and does not believe that they can hear her from the couch.
She has a growing imagination and fully believes that she can transform herself into the family cat.
She loves to sing and show off the new songs she learns at school.
She is positive that she is a princess. Princesses do not walk, they twirl.
She's three, her little personality is forming and comes out more and more everyday. I don't want to stifle these little things that bring her so much happiness (sorry fellow Target shoppers). Maybe rather than correcting her, I should join her. Everyone can use a good twirl every now and then.

Love this post Kim! Thanks for sharing and reminding me, that I too need to stop and smell the roses sometimes with my kiddos!
ReplyDeleteOh I SO can relate! :)
ReplyDeleteI love the little quirks... and hate them at certain moments. But the love definitely outweigh the hate! lol... and one day, I will miss them.
Such a pretty little lady...I love the twirling picture. :)
Hope you all are having a good week <3