It never ceases to amaze me how different my concerns are now from what they were when I was a teenager, or newly married, or even when I was pregnant with Autumn. How different the things I worry about as a parent are from my pre-parental days.
Now I mull over how much Autumn is eating day-to-day, if Nate is hitting all of his milestones, if Autumn's sudden bouts of stuttering is a phase, and poop.
Yup, recently I have spent a good amount of time being concerned with good 'ol #2.
Now, I know this is not the most glamorous subject to discuss but everybody does it, I promise. And if you don't believe me then read this.
I remember when Autumn was an infant, we had only had her home from the hospital for a few days, and she suddenly stopped pooping. As a first time parent I freaked out. I was told to pump her legs like she was riding a little baby bicycle, so I did. Probably more than I needed to. After about five or six minutes she let me know I could stop! I was so relieved that I immediately called my Mom to let her know that Autumn had finally pooped! It was at that moment that I realized my priorities had drastically changed.
For the past week or so Nate has been extremely constipated. He's been able to go, but it isn't easy for him (if you catch my drift). My relaxed, easy going, bubbly baby will scream out in pain when he needs to go, but can't. We have tried several things, giving him juice, feeding him apples and prunes, I've tried the trusty baby bicycle approach, but nothing has seemed to work. His six month checkup is tomorrow and I was prepared to have a nice poop-filled discussion with his doctor...
Then tonight when I picked Nate up to give him his bath, I smelled it. A smell that turned my stomach and made me jump for joy all at the same time! Nate had finally emptied his stomach and filled his diaper. And once again I relived a moment I had had three years ago, a moment that only another mother can appreciate, I was so excited about a diaper full of poop. Looking down at Nate's smiling face, I could tell that he was pretty excited too!
Now, this post begs the question, What remedies do you have for a stopped up baby?

Ask your ped about suppositories. I am not sure at what age you can use them but we recently had to use one with Kaden when he had a really bad fever virus and also an ear infection. After a whole week of constant Tylenol and Motrin and also an antibiotic, his little tummy was all sorts of messed up. He kept complaining of a stomach ache and there was nothing I could do. I knew he hadn't pooped in several days which is not like him. His doctor recommended the suppositories and within 15 minutes he was rushing to the bathroom to go and BOY did he go!
ReplyDelete