There has been a lot of Disney talk in our house lately. Steve and I are in the midst of planning a trip to Disney World in late August, with some of my family accompanying us. I don't know who is more excited about this trip, me or Steve.
Growing up in Florida, I have great memories of going to Disney. I can remember being told by my parents that we were going and having so much excitement I couldn't contain it. I can remember going to bed early, and wanting so badly to fall asleep, so that the trip would come quicker, but not being able to calm down long enough to fall asleep. I can remember finally getting there and thinking that there is no where in the world as perfect as Disney World. These memories are all after I knew that the characters weren't real and that that wasn't actually Cinderella's Castle.
As an adult I still have that same excitement (although I have no doubt I will be able to sleep the night before), and this time there is an added bonus. This time I get to see Disney through my daughter's eyes. Yes, I know that Autumn is only one, and that she will not remember this trip, but we will. I will remember Autumn's first time on the Dumbo ride. I will remember her first, slow trip, around the tea cups. I will remember her first bite into the chocolate ice cream shaped like Mickey Mouse ears. I will remember, forever, the first time she lays eyes on Mickey Mouse, knowing that to her, there is nothing more real then that life-sized mouse.
I am excited to go to Disney World for all of the reasons I have always been and now so many more. Getting to watch Autumn experience this place, this little slice of childhood perfection, through unjaded eyes. To get to watch her point and clap and laugh in excitement and amazement. To watch her eyes light up at each new thing she sees. These are things that even the August heat will not be able to ruin for me.
Actually, I take it back, I might have a hard time sleeping the night before we go!