Image Map

Have Courage, Be Kind, and Forgive.

 01 April 2015

Two weekends ago Autumn and I headed out to the movie theater bright and early to catch one of the first Saturday morning showings of Cinderella. She was so excited to see the live action version, having watched Disney's animated version a million or more times. We discussed the story the entire car ride there, with a brief break to decide on what kind of  donuts we wanted (I told you - it was early). We speculated on what the mean step-mother would be like or what kind of dresses the step sisters would wear. And then there was THE dress - Cinderella's ball gown - she couldn't wait to see that.

We arrived at the theater, bought our tickets, and as the box office attendant slide my receipt to me I saw she had included a little something extra. A Disney pin - of a glass slipper. Autumn was thrilled by the surprise and proudly wore her pin into the theater. Nice touch Disney.


Visually the movie was spectacular. The colors, the costumes, it was amazing. I was prepared to take Autumn on at least one, possibly two, bathroom breaks during the film - but to my surprise she didn't ask to go once. I was also a little worried that the film might not keep her attention the entire time, only because she is very, very familiar with the storyline. I was concerned that, knowing what was going to happen next, she might get bored. I was wrong. She didn't move a muscle, she didn't say a word. She sat in her seat soaking up every second.

There is a poignant scene in the movie, towards the beginning, when Cinderella's mother dies. As she is telling Cinderella all that she wishes for her - to "have courage and be kind" - and all that she wishes for her life, I saw little movements next to me out of the corner of my eye. It was my little Cinderella, curled up in her seat, wiping tears from under her eyes - which in turn made me have to wipe tears from under my eyes.

This live action version is almost identical in storyline to it's animated counterpart, however there is one small addition that I loved. As Cinderella is preparing to leave her family's home - leaving her stepmother and sisters behind - she does something that they don't show you in the animated version. She turns to her step-mother and says "I forgive you." Without receiving an apology first - she willingly gives her forgiveness for the way she has been treated. She forgives for herself.

I loved that. I loved that my daughter got to see that.

On the way home, just like on the way there, Autumn and I discussed the movie. The colors, the dresses, the Fairy Godmother and mice. The pumpkin - turned - coach, we covered it all. Then we talked about forgiveness. We talked about asking for forgiveness when we have done something wrong, or hurt someone's feelings and we talked about how sometimes - like Cinderella - you have to forgive someone even when they haven't asked for it.

You have to forgive for you.