Image Map

Teach a WOman to fish...

 19 August 2013

Autumn is a dress-up with matching shoes, hair done, nail polish on, (play) make up applied girly girl. She loves to twirl like a princess. She loves to feed and burp her babies like a mommy pro.

She also likes to play outside. She doesn't mind (too much) getting dirty or sweaty. She can run, slide and climb right along with the boys.

So when the idea of taking the kids fishing yesterday afternoon came up, I was a little divided on how Autumn would do.

We got to the docks where Autumn's best friend Gavin was already fishing with his parents. Steve grabbed a fishing pole, baited it and got to work trying to catch a fish to show Autumn.  Within a few seconds of dropping the line into the water he reeled in a little fish. The perfect size for Autumn to get a good look at.

I watched closely, interested to see how Autumn would react to the fish. Would she jump back, unsure of whether she wanted to get near it or would she jump right in there, like her Dad was secretly hoping she would.

She jumped right in there without a second thought. Not a scared bone in her body. She held that little fish in the palm of her hand and pet it the way she pets her dogs. I was impressed.


Next up was letting Autumn catch her own fish. Steve baited another hook, dropped it in, and once he had a fish on the line he let Autumn reel it in. They did this three or four times and each time Autumn brought that fish in her smile got bigger and bigger.



Watching Autumn pet the fish and seeing how much she was enjoying this made me worry. How was she going to react when she realized that sometimes the fish don't get thrown back into the lake to "go home to their Mommies". Sometimes we keep the fish and not for pets.

As I was mulling over how to handle that situation I felt the wind pick up and noticed a storm heading our way. We packed up and loaded everyone into the car. As Steve was buckling Autumn into her car seat he told her that our next stop was for dinner to which Autumn asked "Are we gonna eat fish?"

I guess I have nothing to worry about.