Autumn has been interested in her "Big Girl Potty" since she was around 18 months old. She's never been scared of it or intimidated by it. Her babies sit on the potty, Elmo sits on the potty, she hides toys in the potty. She does everything except actually going to the bathroom in the potty.
We have tried not to push Autumn into potty training. When she began understanding what a "Potty" was, we took her to the store and let her pick one out. We would ask her if she would like to try going to the bathroom on her potty. If she said "Yes", great! We would go through the motions and let her see what it felt like to sit on the potty like a "Big Girl". If she said "No", we would ask again at another time. This went on for months.
A couple months after Autumn turned two, I decided to take a different approach. One weekend, I went to the store and bought her a pack of Cinderella underware. I brought them home, let her open them up and explained to her what they were. She immediately wanted to put them on. I told her that if she was going to wear underware like a "Big Girl" then she had to use the potty like a "Big Girl" too. I set a timer, and every ten minutes when the timer went off Autumn would "try" to go to the potty. Eventually, she asked me if she could put her diaper back on. So on it went.
This past weekend, Steve was getting Autumn ready to take a bath and asked her if she would like to try to go in the "Big Potty" (the regular toilet as opposed to the toddler toilet we bought her), she said "Yes" and try she did. She tried so hard she actually went! We were ecstatic! Hand clapping, cheering, dogs barking, the whole nine yards! I thought, "Finally, she's done it! It should be all down hill from here!"
Well, Autumn has yet to go in the potty again, although not for lack of trying. I know it's still early, and we are still continuing to try to have a relaxed approach to it, but I really thought that after that first time it would click. Wishful, naive thinking, I guess.
My hope is that Autumn will be potty trained before Baby #2 makes his/her arrival. But, as with all things, it will happen when it happens. At least she's gone once, right?

I dread potty training! But it's coming soon!... VERY soon! Our 19 month old keeps pulling his diapers off!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on her progress!!!!
Hope your week is going well!
xoxo -Shar
Thank you!! I just keep reminding myself we will get there!
DeleteOh, those little cuties they really do do things in their own sweet time don't they.
ReplyDeleteAloha,
Following ya now from the Blog Hop. We're riding the wave of life at localsugarhawaii.com one little adventure at a time and I'd love it if you'd join us for the sweet ride. And this Saturday we'll be peeking in to another sweet blogger's beach bag and launching our SUMMER Beach BAG Give away... I hope you'll join us.
xo,
Nicole
localsugarhawaii.com
Hi Nicole, thank you so much for stopping by and following! I will check out your giveaway, sounds fun!
DeleteCongratulations! I'm sending good luck with potty training vibes your way! It's so cute the Cinderella undies made her want to try it!
ReplyDeleteXoxox
Maria
Thank you, I need all the prayers and good vibes I can get! Potty training is no joke!
DeleteCinderella is currently the way to her heart :)
Hey Kim!! Been a long time since I have seen you on here, I have missed you and little Autumn!! Are you pregnant? I am going to back track through your posts right now...
ReplyDeleteWell done on the potty perserverence, it's hard but it will happen!! :)
Hey Kerry! I have missed being here! It is just so hard to find time for everything, but I am getting better!
DeleteI see you found the announcement post ;)
Hi Kat! Thank you for stopping by and following, I really appreciate it! I am on my way over to your site now :)
ReplyDelete