Image Map

Lucky Girl

 01 October 2015

I've spent the last month consumed by Autumn's diagnosis and surgery. It all went down so quickly that I still don't think I have fully processed everything - even almost five weeks later. What I do know is that through all of that stressful craziness there was a little boy who was also along for the ride.

This post isn't about surgeries or doctors it's about Nate.


Nate is just 3 months shy of his third birthday. He attends preschool 5 days a week and is so, so smart. I remember Steve and I being pretty impressed with Autumn's vocabulary at this age - but I think Nate has surpassed her. He speaks in complete sentences and has no problem carrying on a conversation. He can count to 10 and can identify most colors and shapes.

He is as stubborn as a mule. When Nate has made up his mind to do something or NOT do something - that's it - there's no budging. I am learning that when it comes to my second born, everything happens in his time.

He is the sweetest little person I have ever been around. He loves to make people laugh and gets very uncomfortable if anyone is upset - especially his sister. He is a rough and tumble boy - but is quick to apologize, with a hug and a kiss, if his "rough and tumbling" causes anyone {usually Autumn} to get hurt. Speaking of kisses, he hands those out freely, and I am eating it up - because I know how quickly that will change. My favorite is when he touches my cheek with his closed mouth and makes a "kiss" noise - melts my heart every time.



He is happiest outside playing in the yard. I think this child would live outside if I let him.

He loves cars and trains. "Thomas the Train" is one of his favorite shows. If you see us out and about chances are Nate has a car clenched in his fist or has just given me one to place in my purse - for safe keeping, of course.

Thomas needed a hug

We just moved Nate from his crib into a toddler bed and he couldn't be happier. He is so proud of his "big boy bed" and all visitors to our home are lead, hand in hand, into his room to check it out. We are still working on potty training - but I know it will happen - in his time.

His first night in his "Big Boy Bed"

Nate is quiet and shy if he doesn't know you but he is the life of the party if he does. He does not like change and it takes him a long time to get used to new things. At the start of the new school year he was moved into a new class, with a new teacher. He cries every morning when I drop him off {he had stopped doing that long ago} and his new teacher has told me she takes him down the hall for a visit with his old teacher at least once during the day. I know he will adjust - in his time.

He is flexing his independence muscles and insists on doing everything himself.

His current favorite foods are macaroni-and-cheese, chicken nuggets, tortilla chips and anything chocolate. He is not a morning person.

I told you - not morning person!

He can be rough and loud and non-stop - and then there is the other side of him - the side that takes care of his sister's baby dolls because they are "his little sisters". The side that stands next to his sister, patting her back while she gets sick, asking her if she's OK. The little boy who randomly walks into the kitchen, looks at me, and tells me how pretty I am.



I'm one lucky girl.